Sunday 18 August 2013

It's Time For Africa.

It's time for Africa!


It's time for me to head home.

I haven't been in Africa since I was about one years old (I visited Egypt for three months). My memories of Africa are non-existent, but now I'm ready to be there and create those memories I don't have.

I plan on going in November/December, at least after my graduation ceremony. It's a great way to celebrate three years of rigorous study...

I am excited, very excited. I've been asking anyone who has been for advice and stories of their experiences on the continent.

My plan is to go to Nairobi, Kampala and Juba. These are the capital cities of Kenya, Uganda and South Sudan.

I'll be spending time with family, exploring and doing a lot of business work (writing and photography) while I'm there. I've been told it could get boring for me, but nothing is ever boring if you have a good book and a camera with you.

I'm going to continue practising my Arabic and Dinka and learn a little bit of Swahili from my cousin and friends (that should help me out a little bit in Nairobi).

I will start getting vaccinations and malaria tablets closer towards the time. I suppose the vaccinations at least a month in advance. I'm definitely heading to Africa with bug sprays etc. I know mosquito nets should be widely available there so I won't get it here.

So I have a lot of plans and currently I'm just doing the writing thing and focusing on work. I'm starting to manage my money much better because I know I'll need it for my travels.

I just can't wait, I'm excited and a little bit nervous, but actually more excited than nervous. I'm not sure how long I will stay, I'm looking at 3 months before I return. But again, that depends on work and family. But I am definitely staying there for at least 6 weeks. I genuinely can't wait... and this blog will definitely become more exciting while I'm there!

P.S. ISIS Magazine has a new website and Issue 3 is out!!! Also, Talk of Juba has launched! I'm one of the writers. It's a news and entertainment magazine on South Sudan/South Sudanese.